Popular Posts

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Let's Go Fishing for Compliments!

I just read a press release from the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission (PFBC) that struck me as funny. Keep in mind that I do spend a lot of time in the sun, so I often see things quite a bit differently than most. 

Anyway, the commission's press release is asking the public to visit their new web page called "Praise an Employee".  They say "...the public also should have a means to let us know when they have received excellent service from our employees”.

The vast majority of the people who work in the PFBC do an outstanding job. To pick one and single him out really isn't fair to the rest.  There's a negative implication here by the commission that excellent service is unusual and needs to be recognized.  But, I'm sure they know better than I do about what's business as usual around their agency.

The Fish Commission could be tired of hearing complaints and maybe look at this new page as a way to boost morale among its workers.  Everyone likes an "atta boy" once in while and making it easier for the public to acknowledge a job well done might have some merit.  But, I feel excellent service should be expected and overall, excellent service is usually what I've found from the commission's employees. So why this new page?  How about giving us a page where we can point out the knuckleheads.

One person commented to me that during these recessionary times maybe the Fish & Boat Commission adopted a policy of "praise is cheaper than a raise". I got a chuckle out of that.

I wish the Fish & Boat Commission much success with this new program and hope they look for some corporate sponsors to help reward their praised employees.  A Happy Meal would be a very nice touch.

From my side of the river it looks like the PA Fish & Boat Commission has decided to go fishing for compliments.