In 2011, the top brands include:
- Top rod brand: Shakespeare (9.6% of all purchases)
- Top reel brand: Shimano (21.4% of all purchases)
- Top fishing line producer: Berkley Trilene (13.1% of all purchases)
- Top hard bait brand: Rapala (21.8% of all purchases)
- Top soft bait brand: Zoom (15.2% of all purchases)
- Top spinner bait brand: Strike King (16.4% of all purchases)
- Top sinker brand: generic (28.8%), Bullet Weights (12.1% of all purchases)
- Top fly rod brand: Orvis (10.4% of all purchases)
- Top fly reels brand: Orvis (16.5% of all purchases)
- Top fly combo brand: Cabela’s (31.5% of all purchases)
- Top fly line brand: Scientific Angler (3M) (23.8% of all purchases)
- Top fly leader brand: Rio (28.9% of all purchases)
- Top tackle box brand: Plano (45.8% of all purchases)
- Top landing net brand: Frabill (24.5% of all purchases)
- Top fishing knife brand: Rapala (25.2% of all purchases)
* Saltwater anglers were more varied, with 31% of trips targeting redfish/red drum, followed by any saltwater fish that bites (25%), flounder (24%), spotted seatrout or weakfish (23%) and striped bass (20%). Please note these refer to species targeted on trips and not the number of fish actually caught.
A comprehensive 2011 fishing tackle market review will be presented in the April issue of the Fishing Tackle Retailer.
The marketing data presented here is a summary of a 150-page market report just released by Southwick Associates that details consumer behavior including what products and brands are purchased, where they are bought, how much customers spend, and demographics of freshwater and saltwater anglers broken out by each product category. Current information about what gear and brands anglers prefer, how many days they spend on the water and what type of fishing they enjoy most is vital to businesses trying to build their customer base.
You can stay abreast of consumer buying patterns and overall market trends by purchasing an annual subscription to Southwick Associates’ monthly AnglerSurvey.com reports. Reports are available for specific product categories including fishing rods, reels, line, lures, tackle, electronics, apparel, fly-fishing and ice fishing gear, and more. To purchase a report or subscription, contact John DePalma at email@example.com.
About AnglerSurvey.com and HunterSurvey.com
Launched in 2006, AnglerSurvey.com, ShooterSurvey.com and HunterSurvey.com is a non-scientific survey designed to help the outdoor industry, government fisheries and wildlife officials and conservation organizations track consumer activities and expenditure trends. The information above represents only a small sample of the vast amount of data collected from the complete survey results and available to government agencies, businesses, the media and other interested parties. Results are scientifically weighted to best reflect the attitudes and habits of anglers and hunters across the United States.