At its 2014 winter meeting the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission approved its 2014 – 2018 Strategic Plan. The plan establishes seven major goals and related strategies that will be implemented through annual action plans.
The Commission Chair Dr. Louis B. Daniel, III of North Carolina stated, "“The document revises the Commission’s long-term vision, values, driving forces, and goals to better respond to new challenges and opportunities in Atlantic coast fisheries management. The Commissioners’ goal, through the review process, was to strengthen the Strategic Plan to make it more effective, concise, and accessible to the public."
More than 4,500 comments were submitted during the public comment period with the majority of the comments supporting the direction of the Commission.
The Plan’s seven goals are:
1. Rebuild, maintain, fairly allocate, and promote Atlantic coastal fisheries
2. Provide the scientific foundation for and conduct stock assessments to support informed management
3. Promote compliance with fishery management plans to ensure sustainable use of Atlantic coast
4. Protect and enhance fish habitat and ecosystem health through partnerships and education
5. Strengthen stakeholder and public support for the Commission
6. Advance Commission and member states’ priorities through a proactive legislative policy agenda
7. Ensure the fiscal stability & efficient administration of the Commission
The 2014 – 2018 Strategic Plan is available on the Commission website at
In its simplest form, etiquette is nothing more than doing the right thing at the right time for a particular situation. Some of these ru...
WASHINGTON – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is launching a web-based discussion forum to gather public input on how the...
Beginning February 1, 2014 the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is decreasing sporting license fees. This pric...
ASMFC Atlantic Menhaden Board Initiates Addendum to Increase Abundance and Spawning Stock Biomass Arlington, VA – The Commission’s Atlanti...
When you hire a guide on the Upper Delaware or anywhere else, don't make assumptions, check to see if your guide is licensed. On the...
It’s been an excellent water year so far and that's resulted in some very good drift boat fishing on the Upper Delaware. The Main Ste...
Alexandria, VA – The Commission’s Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board has initiated development of Draft Addendum III with the goals of r...
Bill confirms outdoor recreation industry is a significant economic drive The bill, known as the Outdoor REC Act, passed the House...
Summer Trout Fishing on the Upper Delaware River It’s been an excellent water year so far and that's resulted in some very good fish...
Low, turbid water poses a risk to spawning trout Anglers: please don't fish the Esopus Creek from the Shandaken Portal to the Asho...